July 7, 2013

Good old yoshoku restaurant for family in Okachimachi

Ueno Matsuzakaya (上野松坂屋) located in Okachimachi (御徒町) is a nearest department store to my house and I often go there when I want to buy good quality of foods. I seldom use their restaurants, but I found a very traditional yoshoku restaurant for family on a floor of watch, jewel, etc. The name is "Gin Salon (銀サロン)."This kind of restaurant was popular 30 years ago, and nowadays it is rather difficult to find.
Sample show-case in front of "Gin Salon"
Inside 
Small salad
Cream soup pf pumpkin
Japanese-style curry and rice
Pilaf topped with crab meat and bechamel sauce
Gin Salon has a big show-case which displays samples of their dishes created by wax. It is said this style is invented in Japan around the beginning of 20th century. Maybe when western style cuisine was not popular, this visual advertisement could be very effective. Since main customers of Ueno Matsuzakaya is middle-old generation, this good old style restaurant might be still alive.

In fact, I saw many elderly people enjoying meals even around 3pm. The taste is conventional. Comparing to ordinary yoshoku, it might be milder and gentle. As  they use good ingredients and less salt,  young and old could eat in relief. (for me, the taste was a little bit something is missing.) I would not revisit all the way, but it might be good to have small meal feeling nostalgia during shopping. The price of each dish is around JPY1,500 to 2,500. My rating is 2.7 out of 5. Gochiso-samadeshita!

 (銀サロン)  http://www.j-frontfoods.co.jp/gin/

No comments:

Post a Comment